Sore Throat Causes & Treatments
Published December 19, 2012
Povidone ‐ IodinePovidone ‐ Iodine is a complex produced by combining iodine and polyvinylpyrrolidone. This complex only releases a small amount of active iodine at a time, while the rest is loosely bound to the povidone molecule. When povidone‐iodine is applied to the skin, for example in the case of a cut, the active iodine is used up as it kills a broad range of bacteria. As the level of active iodine working in the wound decreases, more bound molecules of iodine become available and replenish them. This means that there is only a very small amount of iodine on the skin at a time, making povidone‐iodine less likely to cause undesirable effects such as irritation, compared with traditional iodine preparations.
Betadine® and Bacterial Sore ThroatBetadine® Sore Throat gargle is active against several bacterial strains. A method of staining, known as Gram’s stain, is used to help identify bacterial cells. Staining differences under a microscope are due to differences in cell wall structure in two groups of bacteria, known as gram positive and gram negative bacteria.10 Betadine® is effective against both these groups, including gram positive Streptococcus species, which is one of the most common causes of a bacterial sore throat. In one study, testing against 20 strains of bacteria, povidone‐iodine was found to kill all bacterial strains within 20 seconds (in laboratory studies).13 Betadine® Sore Throat Gargle is therefore a quick acting and effective treatment choice for a sore throat caused by bacteria. Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.
Benefits of Betadine Sore Throat GargleBetadine Sore Throat Gargle is an ideal choice for a sore throat caused by bacteria. Betadine Sore Throat Gargle contains povidone‐iodine, which releases a low concentration of active iodine to the tissues (approximately 2 parts per million). This concentration is ideal, as it is above the level required to kill bacteria and below the level at which iodine may cause irritation.12 This makes Betadine Sore Throat Gargle an effective, yet gentle treatment of bacterial sore throats. It is available as both a concentrated and ready to use product, depending on your needs. With an easy to use measure for your convenience, you can begin treatment with Betadine Sore Throat Gargle at the first signs of a sore throat, whether at home, at the office or on holiday. Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.
- Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary, E.A. Martin, Oxford, 2003, p 641
- Natural Standard, Fungal Infections, 2012, http://www.naturalstandard.com/databases/conditions/all/condition‐fungalinfections.asp, 21/05/2012
- The burden of group A streptococcal pharyngitis in Melbourne families. Indian J Med Res 119 (Suppl) May 2004, pp 144‐147
- EMims Betadine Sore Throat Gargle, March 2010
- EMims Betadine Preparations, April 2005
- Betadine Monograph, Sore Throats, p2
- EMims Betadine Sore Throat Gargle March 2010
- Kawana, R et al, Dermatology, 195 (Supplement 2), p29‐35, Inactivation of Human Viruses by vidone‐Iodine in Comparison with Other Antiseptics
- Betadine Monograph, Table 1 Microbicidal spectrum of povidone‐iodine
- Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary, E.A. Martin, Oxford, 2003, p 295
- Khan. M and Naqvi, A, Tissue Viability Society, 6 (4), p8, 2006, Antiseptics, iodine, povidone iodine and traumatic wound cleansing
- Betadine Monograph, Chemistry
- Yasuda.T, et al, Dermatology 1997 ; 195 (suppl2) ;19‐28
Learn about which Betadine product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE