Five quick sore throat remedies
- Rest – Although you may feel that you need to carry on with your daily tasks, plenty of sleep and rest will help your body recover more quickly from a sore throat. It is better to miss a couple of days of work or school and take care of your wellbeing than allow your symptoms to become worse.
- Drink plenty of fluids – Drink plenty of water to moisten and soothe an irritated throat and to keep sufficiently hydrated. Warm broths, soup and non‐caffeinated tea may also help.
- Consume comforting foods and drink – Eating can be painful or difficult with a sore throat so try to consume soft comforting food such as warm broths or soups. They will provide your body with nutrition while also helping to temporarily sooth your sore throat. Children and adults may also find relief with warm soothing liquids such as lemon, ginger and honey in warm water or cold treats such as ice blocks.
- Humidify the air – Cold dry air may irritate a sore throat so consider using a cool‐mist humidifier or vaporiser, or sit for a few minutes in a steamy bathroom.1
- Gargle – Older children and adults can regularly use a simple saltwater gargle with one teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water to help relieve discomfort.1 Do not swallow this solution, always spit it out. A specialised sore throat gargle solution may also be appropriate.
Learn about which Betadine product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE