Five simple ways to manage a sore throat
Having a sore throat can be painful and annoying. It can make it difficult to talk, uncomfortable to swallow and harder to carry on with your day to day activities.
However, a sore throat can be made more comfortable with the following five remedies:
- Sore throat lozenges – Sore throat lozenges have many advantages. The act of sucking stimulates the production of saliva, which can help moisten an irritated throat. Medicated sore throat lozenges also contain ingredients that relieve sore throat discomfort and/or target their cause. Betadine Sore Throat Lozenges contain two antibacterial agents to help kill the bacteria that can cause throat and mouth infections and provide fast, soothing and effective relief from throat discomfort. They are a convenient solution for easing sore throats when out of the home and can be carried in a handbag or kept at the office.
- Sore throat gargles – Gargling several times a day with a specialised sore throat gargle may help to treat a sore throat of various causes. Betadine Sore Throat Gargles contain povidone-iodine, an agent that targets the site of a sore throat. They kill most types of bacteria implicated in sore throats within 30 seconds* and aid in their treatment. Betadine Sore Throat Gargles are available in a concentrate and ready-to-use preparations for added convenience. Betadine Gargles can be used with Betadine sore throat lozenges and together offer a treat and relieve solution. You could try gargling morning and night at home and taking sore throat lozenges when you require fast soothing relief on the run.
- Humidify the air – You can eliminate dry air by using a humidifier or sitting in a steamy bathroom for several minutes.
- Drink soothing fluids – When you don’t feel well you may lose your appetite, but making sure you consume plenty of fluids is important to prevent dehydration and help moisten the irritated area. Broths, soups and ice cubes may also have a soothing effect.
- Rest – Although it might be tempting to continue with your daily tasks, one of the best treatments for a sore throat is to get plenty of sleep and rest. Sleep is a strong regulator of immune processes1 and may assist with a faster recovery.