Simple Cold Sore Treatments & Remedies
Cold sores are a common condition affecting many adults and children. Outbreaks can be uncomfortable and are often accompanied by pain, tenderness and/or a warm burning sensation. In some people, cold sores can be triggered by feverish illness or exposure to windy conditions,1 which may mean that winter can be one of the worst times of the year for outbreaks.
Fortunately there are simple ways to help manage cold sore eruptions, relieve discomfort and speed up the recovery process including:
- Use ice or cold water – Applying ice or a washcloth soaked in icy cold water to the blister may help ease symptoms in some people.2
- Take painkillers where appropriate – Simple painkillers may occasionally be required to relieve painful symptoms.1
- Apply a specialised cream or ointment – Betadine Cold Sore Ointment can be applied on the affected area to help reduce the risk of spreading infection and to help provide temporary pain relief. If applied at the first signs of an impending cold sore, usually a tingling or burning sensation, it can even halt infection.
- Keep your hands off – Avoid breaking open blisters, or picking or scratching the scab, which may cause secondary infection and scarring.1
- Avoid spicy or acidic foods – These foods may irritate existing blisters and possibly delay healing time.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.
Learn about which Betadine product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE