Exercises to Stay Healthy This Winter
It is certainly hard to keep our exercise regime in winter. With less sunlight hours and colder temperatures, exercising in the dark mornings or nights seems far from appealing. However, there are so many reasons to crawl out from under your doona and keep active in winter. Besides helping us to stay in shape and avoid the extra winter kilos, exercise warms us up and releases ‘feel-good’ hormones called endorphins. Plus, staying physically active can reduce the likelihood of catching common winter ailments and their associated symptoms like sore throats.
With a little extra effort, there are many ways to get your heart racing in winter and reap the health benefits. However, be mindful of warming up properly before any physical activity as that nip in the air can make our muscles tighter and more prone to injury.
Tips to stay healthy and active this winter:
- Join a gym or health club that is on your way home from work. Use machines like treadmills and exercise bikes or try the fitness classes. Consider joining with a friend to keep you motivated when it’s cold outside.
- Make the most of the daylight hours and go for a walk around the block with a co-worker at lunchtime as staying indoors and exposing ourselves to constant dry, heated air can make us more vulnerable to winter germs and sore throats.
- Be mindful of incidental exercise by taking the stairs rather than the lift, cleaning the house with extra vigour, consider getting off one bus stop early or turn on your favourite music and dance like no one is watching.
- Find a local heated pool and swim laps or try a water aerobics class.
- Join a team sport like touch football, volleyball or netball, where you won’t want to let the team down regardless of how cold it is. Most states will also have indoor competitions to get involved with.
- Organise a trip to the slopes and ski or snow board for the ultimate winter workout.1
Learn about which Betadine product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE